Church of Wells/YMBBA Ministries

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/27/2013 8:12 pm  #31

Re: Condescension of God

The 1 review of course comes from a Welder!

12/28/2013 2:43 am  #32

Preface
John Knox was derided in his day for being too much of an Old Testament prophet. The caricature drawn may have been correct had it not been for the overwhelming idolatry and superstition that then pervaded the professing church of the 16th century. But so it was that darkness covered with its veil the eyes of the ignorant, that their eyes should be holden from steadfastly looking upon Jesus Christ the Righteous. Thus these poor souls beheld only the forms and traditions of the ecclesiastical body in which Satan then reigned as usurper; and, in consequence, they were shut up to the gospel promises by this works-righteousness offered them. It was into this scene which the character Knox appeared - with all his thundering judgments. Knox, filled with the Spirit, came convinced of the evil disease that had taken fast hold upon his nation of Scotland and of the prescription needed to see an end of the darkness. Thus he was not too much an Old Testament prophet. He came a-mourning because there was something to be lamented in the church of the day. Carnal men, who are at all times at home and happy in this world, will never understand the likes of Knox.

My question to the reader is: how shall the church today arise from the ashes in which she lies? We who have drunk the moral anesthetic called, in our day, the gospel – how shall we awake? Declension has brought us back to another dark age, where the prophet and priest are just as profane as they were in Knox's day and the people are as ignorant as they were then too; thus we need another reformation. Not a return to the doctrine of Calvin or Arminius, but to the apostles' doctrine!

When immersed in the darkness of sleep, it never feels pleasant to at once be aroused by the blazing shock of harsh white lights. And so, it is rarely pleasing to be so awakened from such sinful slumber by the call of fiery preaching. We have, ad infinitum, sermons, books, classes, and whole conferences devoted to the fear of God – and yet we have not employed the knowledge we’ve acquired. The very thing we need most is the very thing we cannot acquire! How shall we attain unto the fear of God, that we may “serve him acceptably” (Heb. 12:28)? It’s time we stop giving assignments to our keynote speakers, and wait upon God! Surely if God assigned a man to the task, we would learn our lesson aright! We need a man who has been taken down to the third hell – a man who has ascended up the burning mount! How could the Ninevites resist such irresistible preaching from a man who came fresh from hell (see, Jon. 2:2)?

I believe God's found a man.

- Jake Gardner

► "The caricature drawn may have been correct had it not been for the overwhelming idolatry and superstition that then pervaded the professing church of the 16th century."
What "caricarture"? A caricature is a rendered image showing the features of its subject in a simplified or exaggerated way. In literature, a caricature is a description of a person using exaggeration of some characteristics and oversimplification of others. Caricatures can be insulting or complimentary and can serve a political purpose or be drawn solely for entertainment. Caricatures of politicians are commonly used in editorial cartoons, while caricatures of movie stars are often found in entertainment magazines (Wikipedia). What does this mean? In plain simple contemporary American English.

► "It was into this scene which the character Knox appeared - with all his thundering judgments."
What scene was that? The rich complex history of 15th- to 17th-century Europe? The political struggles and Machiavellian maneuverings of monarchies?
Let's understand the reality of history. John Knox was a tiny blip on the radar; a footnote in English and Scottish history. American Christianity has styled Knox as a larger-than-life religious hero. Really, the guy led an average life for the time and place. As a clergyman, he didn't accumlate any massive wealth, but he was pretty well-off.
Knox was a Catholic priest who somewhere along the way converted to Protestant and a Puritan Reformationist. History doesn't even know when or why. He went on to become a minister in Church of England and appointed by the monarchy to serve as Royal Chaplain (Edward VI) for which he was paid by the Privy Council. He was more politician than a preacher.
http://books.google.com/books?id=aK1CAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA146&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U2LBiukW49SXeavVppLC4C3_fKaIg&ci=131%2C850%2C790%2C123&edge=0

http://books.google.com/books?id=aK1CAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA50&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U2S7J4BBiqWAb_jngnPIrV3PZNKqA&ci=132%2C392%2C791%2C232&edge=0

He was involved with the murder of Cardinal Beaton at the Cathedral of St. Andrews. When Mary Tudor came to power, he lived a comfortable life as an expatriate in Switzerland and Germany. He had two wives. When he was 54, he married a 17-year-old cousin of the royal family.
He had a consuming hatred of women, the topic of his most famous piece of writing. He published the first of a series anonymously, hoping to avoid condemnation. In his own self-interest, he then tried to apologize and claim loyalty to Queen Elizabeth, in a letter to the Queen's secretary William Cecil, Lord Burghley.
http://books.google.com/books?id=aK1CAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA145&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U2oFJm0t7Wr5Z-hT8p98KWJLdMmnA&ci=102%2C1151%2C772%2C210&edge=0

It pays to actually understand history and the truth of historical figures. Here's a good reliable factual resource.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q782/ahythlodaeus/bbc1_zps4d1da870.jpg

Start here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/the_reformation/the_rough_wooing/

Here's two years worth of comments on the subject of the Convenanters. 1,500 Scottish and English opinions. Worth reading.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q782/ahythlodaeus/bbc2_zpse97c203e.jpg

A couple of REAL Scotsmens' opinions:

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q782/ahythlodaeus/BBC-ScotlandsHistory-Debate_TheCovenanters_zpsd257c6a7.jpg
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q782/ahythlodaeus/2BBC-ScotlandsHistory-Debate_TheCovenanters_zps7f0dc578.jpg

► "Surely if God assigned a man to the task, we would learn our lesson aright! We need a man who has been taken down to the third hell – a man who has ascended up the burning mount!" 
Surely. So, Sean Morris' particular credential is that he has been to "third hell" and "ascended up the burning mount"? What does that mean? And when exactly did Sean achieve these dramatic feats of religious valor? How? 
Ten years ago, this guy was a Lutheran South Academy high school party boy playing baseball and looking for that big career break. Then he graduated from Baylor University with a fine classical education in 2008. Then he jumped in with his cousin Cory and buddy Daniel, inventing their own church in Arlington. He traveled around street-preaching with Shawn Holes, a traveling preacher from New York by way of Idaho, and then moved to Wells and formed Charity Enterprises, Inc.
Where along the way did he earn his presbyterian stripes that elevated him to the ilk of John Knox? And why does he hate women so much? What happened to Sean Morris? What's the back story that Church of Wells ain't tellin'?

► "I believe God's found a man."
Says "Pastor" Jake Gardner. Ten years ago, Jake was a young teenager. Maybe a freshman at a Garland, Texas high school; perhaps still an 8th-grader. What exactly is Jacob Gardner's provenance? What is Jake's credential and enlightenment and experience to be able to wave his hand and grandly endorse Sean Morris as God's choice? And even to speak for God! Something that profound, you don't hide. You reveal it. You say how you know. You disclose who you are and what makes you think so. You hold yourself and your credentials up for scrutiny and evaluation. 
Never mind European history in the 16th century. We know how the Puritans got here and why. The English crown made their leadership the "governors" of colonial outposts. We know what the offshoots were, Mennonites, Amish, Jacobites, etc. 

How about American history in this century? It's critically important to review the last hundred years of American religion. The evolution of American Christianity - evangelism, key historical figures, tent revivals and snake oil, boy preachers, and where it all came from. From Joseph Smith and Ellen White, to Billy Graham and Jim and Tammy Faye Baker. Westboro Baptist Church. Christian Identity.

If something is real and genuine and substantive, it'll bear up under scrutiny. If it doesn't, there's a reason.

Last edited by Hythlodaeus (12/28/2013 2:40 pm)

12/28/2013 3:21 pm  #33

Repost. Discussion Part I, #356.

Hythlodaeus wrote:

...and where's Jake Gardner's life testimony, by the way?

I was saved in the Spring of 2004. I look back now, year after year, and am always amazed at how God truly has made me a new creature in Christ, and how the Spirit of the Lord is changing me from glory to glory into His image. I believe Paul said it best in Galatians... My life’s prayer now is that God would consume me with a white-hot fervency for His glory, His Son, His word, the churches and the lost. I long to say with David....

I cut out the bible verses to get to the meat and potatoes.

• No family condemnation.
• Nothing at all about how horrible his mother is.
• Nothing about his parents' sin and inequity.
• Nothing about what a ragin' partier he was in high school.
• Nothing about high school.

Huh. He must have bypassed all that by becoming a boy preacher when he was 12?

1/14/2014 3:56 pm  #34

I think this conversation deviated a bit from the actual book. I am going to start a new one, as I will be starting to read the book next week. 

1/14/2014 5:47 pm  #35

The thread hasn't really deviated. You can see that the previous post is an analysis of the Preface by Jake Gardner. That's where "Condescension of God" starts.
The stuff before that was about the peculiar vernacular and syntax.

Either way, looking forward to your thread. What a challenge. I won't be reading it. I'm saving myself for the Cliff Notes. 

1/14/2014 6:08 pm  #36

Yes, I ws thinking that Aegonis3 is a better man than I! That is a meaty task.

1/31/2014 3:22 pm  #37

Continuing the discussion.

Micah68:

The Condescension of God - Sean Morris (Page 2)
(Sean Morris warning to those who do not take the time to study his entire book or you will be found a slanderous criminal in the sight of God.)

The chapters, principles, doctrines, and ideas build upon one another. Some chapters can be read outside of the context of the former chapters, and behold, much truth can still be gleaned, but I assure you that you will not understand what I am saying or meaning in full. Beware lest you
wrest my words to your own destruction, lest you are found a slanderous criminal in
the sight of God. I say this, especially, to those who refuse to study the whole context
of each chapter, who do not take the time to study the entire book. May the Lord have
mercy, in Jesus’ Name.

The Condescension of God - Sean Morris (Page 2)
(Sean Morris explains the purpose of the book is to lead you to Mount Sinai, that you might learn to fear and to wound you with an injury, given by a true friend.)

The Condescension of God - Sean Morris (Page 689)
(Sean Morris explains that the Father is only pleased with a certain amount of fruit, but the Son (The Vine) is pleased to accept us how we are in unmerited favor, fill us with His own life and power, empowering us to meet the required yield of fruit the Father demands.)

The Father is only pleased with a certain amount of fruit yielded by the
branch. It is easy for us to be motivated by the waiting and expectant eyes of the
Father that will judge our fruit without compromise. It is easy to remember that our
Father is He “Who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man’s
work” (1 Peter 1:17), and therefore it is easy to be gripped with a consciousness of an
expectant, judging, righteous Husbandman. Nevertheless, all our strivings to bring
forth the right measure of fruit to the Father will be to no avail if we don’t first look
to The Vine. Jesus said, “without Me ye can do nothing.” The Father is only pleased
with a certain amount of fruit, but the Son (The Vine) is pleased to accept us how we
are in unmerited favor, fill us with His own life and power, empowering us to meet
the required yield of fruit the Father demands. The Son (The Vine) is pleased to
accept us because we have been engrafted into Him already. He is pleased to accept
us freely and in unmerited favor. He knows our powerless estate to bring forth fruit.
He knows we are dead and cursed. Jesus said, “Without Me ye can do nothing”, and
herein is His matchless love – saying to us, without Me, DO NOTHING.

The Condescension of God - Sean Morris (Page 75)
(Moses and Jonah would have lost their savlation during the time period they were running from God, because God was trying to kill them and had they died in their sin, they would be in hell.)

If Moses and Jonah had believed it was impossible that the
arrows of God’s wrath were ever aimed at them, then they would not have been
saved!

The Condescension of God - Sean Morris (Page 105/106)
(Willful sin after being saved is unatoneable, because you are commiting adultery against God.)

Willful sin is unatonable sin. If this was the severity of the Judgment of God in the Mosaic
Covenant, how much more severe is the justice of God toward the rejection of a
greater and more wonderful Covenant in Christ – thus it is said, “Of how much sorer
punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot
the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the Covenant, wherewith he was
sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace” (Heb.
10:29). If one wishes to argue that Hebrews 10 is a warning to an unregenerate
unbeliever, then one must conclude that an unbeliever can be sanctified by the blood
of the Covenant (the blood of Jesus, Heb. 10:20)! If one wishes to argue that
Hebrews 6 is a warning to an unregenerate unbeliever, then one must conclude that
an unbeliever can repent acceptably and savingly before God (Heb. 6:6, note “renew
again”).

Nay, this is to regenerate believers who have become “adversaries” (Heb.
10:27), to whom will undergo the “vengeance” of God, and why? They are “enemies
of God” through the crime of adultery (James 4:4), as it is written, “Ye adulterers
and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God?
Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God” (James 4:4).

10/26/2014 2:42 am  #38

Interesting stuff in chapter 16.

My reader, henceforth let us search out the telling signs of God’s Presence when it fulfills the Covenant agreement, and on the contrary, His absence, wrath, curses, and breaches which are also in Covenant agreement. To do such a study, we will have to understand the following terms bulleted below. We will examine these spiritual realities in their OT and NT context, in this chapter and into chapters to come. When we come to understand how to discern our “day” and “time”, it is my hope, in earnest longing for myself and all other saints, that we would, as God says, “lay these things to thy heart…remember the latter end of it”. If we are made a “spoil” for the devil, given over to heresies as strong as “robbers,” is it not because of “the LORD, He against Whom we have sinned?  In all this outpouring of God’s displeasure, let us not be as Israel was, who, God said, “knew not; and it burned him, yet he laid it not to heart” ! Let us not be as those damned men to whom God said, “thou hast lied, and hast not remembered Me, nor laid it to thy heart”. Oh how terrible it is!  Your accountability at the Final Judgment has everything do with the truth which we are about to search out and discover, but I pray and hope that it will not be said of us, now, as He said in the old time – “Many pastors have destroyed My vineyard, they have trodden My portion under foot, they have made My pleasant portion a desolate wilderness. They have made it desolate, and being desolate it mourneth unto Me; the whole land is made desolate BECAUSE NO MAN LAYETH IT TO HEART”.

In the day of Eli’s impeachment from the holy office of High Priest in Israel, thence the glory of Israel was taken away, the means of grace through the ministerial office of the priests was made void, and “the Lamp of God went out in the Temple of the LORD”. The Lamp signifies the spiritual health & life of the people of God, and therefore at such a time as this it can also be said – “the word of the LORD was precious [rare] in those days; there was no open vision”. Can you relate?

To ask --> "Where is the Lord?"
Is the same thing to ask, in other words --> "Where are the Lord's right-hand men?" 

“And ye shall be unto Me a Kingdom of Priests” – When the priests are forsaken by God, it is an evil “time,” but what about when God forsakes Israel’s King? Darkness was in the Tabernacle where only light should have been, and likewise, the dark spirits of the devil seized the king of Israel. Night after night, Saul was forcefully taken into demon-inspired imaginations and nightmares, into a hell-valley of troubles. God sent an evil spirit to Saul, and do you think it would only trouble him? Where evil spirits dwell, they inflict the disease of spiritual decay, making sinners strong and emboldened in high-handed rebellions against God. The man Saul, having become demon-possessed, was filled with the premeditated and preplanned schemes of hell, and thus, when Saul did but follow his heart, behold – “Nob, the city of the priests, smote he with the edge of the sword, both men and women, children and sucklings, and oxen, and asses, and sheep, with the edge of the sword” . What if Satan entered into you? What would you be feeling and thinking, and what would you end up doing? Some treachery of Judas would be rising in your members, no matter how fervent your love for God was at a former time, a time when you dwelt under the shadow of the Almighty. We must understand this awful curse, to have satanic demons hovering about the people of God! They are smart, systematic, and superior to humanity in all ways and powers, and in their intellectual capacity, they do plan the downfall of the world’s only hope – the people of God. They are the inventors of your generation’s grand scheme of deception and annihilation.

Eli and Saul were two examples of men who stood to influence Israel from two different vocational grounds, grounds of potential for great good or otherwise for great evil. They were meant to be instruments in God’s hands for spiritual and physical salvation, but what happened to them continues to happen for centuries to come, shockingly, in greater and greater degrees. Long after these two men flew into the depths of hellfire where they belong, When this company of men – the king, princes, priests, and prophets – is delivered over to the deception of God, then the whole city is made ready for wrath. God’s purpose to destroy Israel is so pointed, lo, it cannot be turned back. When such men fall, the means of grace are eradicated. They become deceived-stupid like as a courageous blind man, confident they can lead well, “and if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch”. For several generations and centuries, renowned and notorious sinners against high Heaven reached marks of great infamy, but it was because one or all of these offices were in desolation. The generations of “The Judges” are a good example of this. They were a kingless people, and therefore they did what was “right in their own eyes”.

Without God’s right-hand men, the people turned back and rebelled, and there has never been a biblical revival which was not initiated and sustained through chosen men employed for God’s holy use, chosen vessels, to take the preeminent place of authority under God. There is no such thing as a “nameless, faceless revival” (as some imagine and seek after today). While thinking upon the centrality of these offices and how they are used to begin and sustain a biblical revival, see as well how they can have the opposite effect upon God’s people. They can become the instruments of woe and of pervading deception, when these offices are a planting that God “hath not planted”. Now look carefully at the cries of intercessors through the centuries when they prayed. Look specifically how God inspired their prayers, and look at what they prayed for! They prayed for salvation, rescue, and hope through the restoration of these very offices. They recognize that, without them, the nation becomes drunken, wayward, and weary in God-ordained deceptions. Notice in what manner they do call upon and remember God! They recognize that there was once a man with the Holy Spirit within him, and that God, through men, led Israel by the right hand. The people have learned the awful experience of “times” given over to deception, namely, when men with unholy spirits are in leadership. So the people cried out! They knew that, if such an office was revived, then the people would follow on to obey God!  They knew the holy rite of such Divine orders and callings, and how far have we fallen from this today? Today the “spiritual leaders” of the “church” are subject to a congregational democracy. The congregation shepherds the shepherd. They hire and fire the pastor, and so, the choicest pick of the multitude is a congregational conformist whose priority is to keep his job, and so Hell’s hirelings are preaching God’s holy word! They are pragmatic men, prepared by pampered professors of classroom politics, and so, like the heathen vocations, these men are educated into authority and classroom-cultivated. They are just worldly enough to tickle the taste buds of men who are hungry for religiously-intelligent sinning. They are whitewashed on the outside, and they are skilled to whitewash other men.

By Divine constitution, isn’t it written somewhere, maybe, that preachers must be set apart by the Holy Ghost? The office requires an empowering of God, a supernatural gifting, given to men only by God! We must, like past centuries, recognize the vitality and holy necessity in keeping these offices hallowed, keeping them untouched by carnal interference. If God restored the saints with God-ordained and God-empowered “judges” and “counsellors,” then God’s people would be beautified in salvation, and they would be “as in the days of old, and as in former years”.

These biblical Christians knew that they needed not just any man, nor a very intelligent man, but they needed a holy man. They knew that carnal wisdom could not discover the undiscoverable pathways of salvation. It is beyond all comprehension, brilliantly miraculous; therefore they are hidden “in the great waters.” Thou leddest Thy people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron”. Can a carnal man be educated enough to “make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, Who created all things by Jesus Christ: To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the Church the manifold wisdom of God”? We need men who preach “with the Holy Ghost” upon them, that He, the Holy Ghost, would do the preaching! It is better to have a Legion of angels stricken with eye-gaping amaze and wonderment, when behold, true pastors preach heavenly-rich wisdom under the power of the Holy Ghost, and yet, there is hardly a building; it is some lowly, nameless, Church congregation scattered somewhere in a land of poverty. Yea, this is better! Better than today’s “church-popular”! Stadiums of men sit amazed and entertained, and there, the drooling demons make the dead men sing praise. The electronic charisma, the graphic-based fantasies, the bass-stimulated powers, this is the feeling of “god’s presence” which has replaced regenerating powers. These electronic “churches” are full of sinners, not saints, that are sons of the old time magicians who bewitched the masses with magic, and now, behold, the aura of a light-show “Christian” religion makes dead-religion fantastic. Do you get the picture? Preaching is a hallowed office! An office which is, today, desecrated by unholy men! Their preaching is self-planned and self-invented, and “Christianity” has become a manmade religion! ...thus, with the absence of God there is confusion, astonishment, perpetual backslidings, and overwhelming damnation in this “day,” “time,” and generation – this is the deception of God. This deception is like the sun gone down, the land sitting in darkness, the people in blindness all staggering about; they grope for stability but they have no hope. This deception is like a cloudless sky for a long famine, until starvation sets in and the people faint and collapse. Nutrient-depleted, water-dried, and energy-drained, each man steadily withers away in a long, slow, and steady dying. They look up for rain, but lo, there is nothing... What is even worse, men who are in one such spiritual “time” are so deceived, they don’t even think to cry out, “Where is the Lord,” or, “How long,” because they are not even aware that their “day” is a time of wrath and deception, a time marked by the absence of God and His right-hand men.

Asa was born into such a generation. It was written then: “Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law”. King Josiah was born into such a dark time that he didn’t even have a Bible. He sought God for many years with only the verbal or written, uninspired traditions which were passed down through the centuries. With such a dim lamp for such a dark night, a man can scarcely walk! Blessed be God that the man Josiah was destined to rise up to the shining stars (to be among those faithful few who were used on earth and honored in heaven), and so, God led him to find out where the Bible was hidden! Note: until such a time came, Josiah was still under the wrath of God. God’s wrath was ready to destroy him, it was not turned back simply because he followed the verbal traditions of men who were venerated by the religious authorities of his day, or his father’s day, no matter how ancient. Blessed are those who are born into a generation which is equipped with the means of salvation - made ready and at hand – but most men are born into “old waste places”. Such men do await the arrival of God’s helping hand to rest upon a man, or men, who are called and equipped by God to fulfill the title, “The restorer of paths to dwell in”. Such a day and time is blessed, but most men that fear God are brought low by the overwhelming deception and oppression of their day, and so, they collapse into the ashes of Habakkuk...

Now perhaps you may understand the spiritual language of a generation-long, nationwide deception. Perhaps you may be enabled by the Spirit of God, to have ears to hear, to learn, and so, perhaps you will be able to discern your “day” and “time”! Those who are unable to understand these things will never cry out to God, “How long,” because they don’t even know that they are under the wrath of God. We must remember what biblical mercy and salvation are, so that we might tell when and if they are manifest or absent in our “day.” We must recognize what marks characterize the generation of God’s wrath. If God ever reveals these hidden things to us, these blessed secrets, and we do see it with open eyes, then we must “lay it to heart,” remember it, and stay upon it; otherwise our damnation is sure.

...to stay upon God in the midst of a spiritually violent, religious culture, with its pressures and amazing threats, and the overwhelming false confidences that “Christians” do angrily wave over our head…if it was easy, then all men would stand firm! These thronging, threatening, blasphemers are innumerable, and of their number are those intimate acquaintances of our old man – our friends & family. Like the nightfall hunt of a pack of African wild hyenas, Oh! How they hound and intimidate! They terrorize predators of incomparable strength – even a lion pride – and it is by their swarming, group-circling, relentless and persistent dodging and turning that they weary the lions and make them heartless to hold their ground, and shockingly, the lion pride often surrenders the prey they worked so hard to kill. The lions slowly leave, glancing back, again and again, with faces that look almost confused, aggravated, and spooked. It is as if they don’t know what just happened, or how it happened, like they were outwitted and amazed at the whole experience. Oh, the annoyance of these horrid hyenas! Their laugh-squealing screeches that incessantly sound while they swarm all around the lion pride! Have you ever seen it? Then you would know what I say! Right behind you and beside you, and all around you, it seems that they are an undefeatable kamikaze force that will not back down.

Circling deceptions and swarming masses of intimidations, this catastrophe is your spiritual scenery; and of a TRUTH God forewarned us – hold on to the faith – or else you will lose it, you will be wearied by the whirlwind of lies, and finally, you will “let it slip”!

Have you found a man of God? Whither you go, or what Christian thing you do…who is the man that you do hear and see, who are the men that are set in authority to preach to you? This was said by King Jesus, He referred to a single-man minority who stood alone – the faithful and great prophet, John the Baptist. He was endowed with the spirit of Elijah, and therefore, look at him, how he followed in Elijah’s burdens. Look how he was laden heavy with this single cause – laying truth to his heart – so that, again in his day, truth might oppose lies and stand fast, even if it was against 400-to-1 odds. Elijah’s life depended on whether or not he successfully laid the truth to his heart. When he believed that he failed the mission for which he was sent to accomplish, namely – to be different than his hypocritical fathers – it was then that he no longer desired to live! In the hour of Elijah’s sorrow when the prophet was never lower, read how he prayed to end his life.

Consider this: If you can’t pray such a prayer you will not live such a life. We need hearts like the true prophets; then we will follow in their pathway of glory, though it be ever so lined with thorny tribulations. None can walk it, and go on unscathed. Momentary, light afflictions – a little sweat, a little blood –the wicked have their reward in this life, but ours is above. Is what Christ said, about Christians in the first century, untrue for Christians today? What about you? Are you the “blessed” people, or are you under Christ’s woe? “Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of Man’s sake…for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets…Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! For so did their fathers to the false prophets”.

Board footera