Church of Wells/YMBBA Ministries

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/15/2014 6:10 pm  #1

Proposal: Safehouse

Hey all,

I came up with this idea after reading about Catherine Grove trying to run from the group after an argument. I am, to some extent, happy that she had the courage to do so. However, it did not end the way we had hoped. 

A key observation I took from that story is this: She ran through the feilds. She had no where to go.

Here's my idea: We need a safe place set up in Wells where members looking to leave can go - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I think one of the reasons people don't leave is because they don't know what first steps to take. Running off into the feilds like Catherine did won't really do much.

So, is there a home, church or business in Wells that would be willing to serve as a safehouse and point of contact for members looking to leave? If so, we then need to make sure that the town and the internet are saturated with information about its location. Signs on corners, all the public places, all the blogs, etc. Members of this group need to know that "123 Main Street" is open to Catherine or any other members looking to escape. 

What do you think? 

1/15/2014 6:31 pm  #2

Re: Proposal: Safehouse

Best idea I have heard all week. (Although a friend of mine mentioned something like this to me recently. Still, I would financially support this type of effort.) Brilliant.

1/15/2014 6:32 pm  #3

EXCELLENT IDEA! Pretty sure we could contact any of the pastors. One of them actually helped a young man escape around Thanksgiving. If our townspeople would let us know, we can get the ball rolling!

1/15/2014 6:59 pm  #4

Great idea.

1/15/2014 8:48 pm  #5

So, to move forward with this idea, we first need a person with a home. Do we have any contacts?

This home should be one that is easy to access on foot by a fleeing member. The home should also have the means to drive away any unwanted CoW visitors: a strong male presence AND knowledge of Texas trespassing law. Additionally, the home should anticipate a child or two in some circumstanes. If that is the case, they homeowner would need access to Texas' child custody laws in extreme situations.

The homeowners should have emergency contact numbers for all of the families. Lord knows if Catherine, in her frenzied state, would have been able to recall her parents' contact info on the spot.

Ideally, this would be a person well-known in the community with rapport and access to town facilities. Signs would need to be placed around town. CoW members do not isolate themselves completely - they still have to walk around town! There is no doubt they would see signs. Leaflets can even be left in public places right outside CoW HQ, R&R, etc. Additionally, no law can prevent a townsperson from walking up to a CoW member in public and just telling them about it. They won't want to hear it, but they'll at least have "123 Main Street" in the back of their minds just in case...

Not only to CoW members need to know where this place is, but all Wells residents.

If this movement got big enough, I am willing to bet the local press will get involved. A town banding together to rescue members is pretty attractive news. 

Is this a bit extreme? Sure. But this is an extreme situation. We must press on.

Let us pray that someone in the town can open up their hearts to this cause.

Re: GodsChild and Financial Support: They only thing I can think of that could use financial support is producing materials for distribution. Signs, banners, leaflets, etc.

1/15/2014 9:51 pm  #6

As a local, I can say that Preethi has already been told, that if she decides that she wants to leave, there are plenty of people in town who will be willing to help her. 

1/15/2014 10:04 pm  #7

Glad everyone is brainstorming and trying to come up with ideas to help these cult kids.  The churches are already acting as safe houses and they have helped several potential new recruits escape the grip of this cult.  Anyone who wants to leave would could ask any number of people around town for help and there would be no shortage of people willing to assist them.  CoW is not a welcome group of people in Wells.  I'd say most people in Wells rank the CoW just about the thieving meth heads who also frequently walk the streets of Wells.  Both are un-welcome menaces.

The idea of a safe house is not extreme, let's keep brainstorming.  But let it be known that there is no shortage of locals already willing to help anyone who would like the escape CoW.

1/15/2014 10:21 pm  #8

wellstx wrote:

Glad everyone is brainstorming and trying to come up with ideas to help these cult kids.  The churches are already acting as safe houses and they have helped several potential new recruits escape the grip of this cult.  Anyone who wants to leave would could ask any number of people around town for help and there would be no shortage of people willing to assist them.  CoW is not a welcome group of people in Wells.  I'd say most people in Wells rank the CoW just about the thieving meth heads who also frequently walk the streets of Wells.  Both are un-welcome menaces.

The idea of a safe house is not extreme, let's keep brainstorming.  But let it be known that there is no shortage of locals already willing to help anyone who would like the escape CoW.

That's great to know! Then, I think, that information needs to be made explicitly clear to CoW members. Did Catherine know where these churches and homes were? I don't doubt the willingness and ability for Wells residents to help - it's getting that information to CoW that is the task.

Maybe we could come up with a "logo" or something that denots a property or residence as one being open to CoW members on the run? Something as simple as a sign on the lawn (like when election season comes around) would suffice. 

I think a the biggest thing is to get contact info for immediate family. I know there are family members reading this. Maybe you could reach out to Wellstx in a personal message with your emergency contact info? Wellstx, would you be willing to organize them in a database for easy access? Like I mentioned before, I think it's important for outsiders to have this info incase someone like Catherine seeks help but is in such a frenzied state she does not know what to do or who to contact. Shoot, I once had my car break down on the side of the road (and a dead cell phone) and I didn't have a single phone number memorized. 

1/15/2014 11:41 pm  #9

wellstx wrote:

As a local, I can say that Preethi has already been told, that if she decides that she wants to leave, there are plenty of people in town who will be willing to help her. 

Preethi's family are able to come to Wells and see her if she wishes- family dynamics are different.   I don't live in Wells, but aren't your churches open to young people, particularly women, in trouble?   

Board footera