Church of Wells/YMBBA Ministries

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/18/2013 8:37 pm  #11

Re: Food for thought - articles and papers

So is NRM the politically correct term? 

8/18/2013 9:34 pm  #12

Yep. Because "cult" sounds bad. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

8/18/2013 9:45 pm  #13

Fixing a Frankenstein Faith: Ten Distortions of Scripture and How to Correct Them
Liberty for Captives. August 9, 2013.

No matter how much a Christian group twists scripture—no matter how fearful or controlled the people become—Jesus can still rescue them.

The Situation: Mutually Exclusive Exclusiveness
The group I have in mind is representative of a thousand other groups, each of whom believes it alone possesses the truth. While giving lip service to the idea that there are other genuine believers scattered around the world, in practice they believe that everyone else is a false Christian. They believe that they alone have interpreted Scripture correctly, and that they alone will be saved in the latter days. This helps them to rationalize their cruel behavior toward the “unelect,” that is, anyone with the audacity to stand against the claims of their leader.
Despite the geographical distribution of sects, cults, and spiritually abusive churches, most of these groups function in very similar ways. They have twisted the meaning of scripture and have left the straight path of doctrine (orthodoxy). Instead, their distorted belief (heterodoxy) leads to distorted practice (heteropraxy).

► In other words, they behave badly because they believe wrongly.

We want to fix this Frankenstein faith.

An introduction to a ten-part series. Read it here -  http://libertyforcaptives.com/2013/08/09/fixing-a-frankenstein-faith-ten-distortions-of-scripture-and-how-to-correct-them/

Last edited by Hythlodaeus (8/18/2013 10:19 pm)

8/19/2013 10:24 am  #14

Hythlodaeus wrote:

Yep. Because "cult" sounds bad. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

I can only wonder if those who came up with this term--NRM--have they ever personally experienced being cut off from a family member who is actively involved in a cult? UGH!

8/19/2013 11:09 pm  #15

I can only wonder if those who came up with this term--NRM--have they ever personally experienced being cut off from a family member who is actively involved in a cult? UGH!

Academia. Scholarly works on the psychology of oppressive 'group think' and deviance. Cults, in other words. Or TACOs, if we prefer...

8/19/2013 11:20 pm  #16

So here's something kind of interesting. For the scholars and more inquisitive-natured amongst us.

The CofW Statement of Faith. It is something drafted by the "Christian Law Association" twenty years ago. It's a guy named David C. Gibbs, Jr. A ministry, in fact. They publish and sell legal materials. Like a book called "How to Start Your Own Church."

I'm not going to link them here. 

From their website:

Since 1969, CLA has been providing free legal assistance to Bible-believing churches and Christians who are experiencing difficulty in practicing their religious faith because of governmental regulation, intrusion, or prohibition in one form or another.

The Christian Law Association exists to preserve Christian liberty for your children and grandchildren.

CLA received in excess of 100,000 phone calls annually, not counting the thousands of pieces of correspondence from those who are in some way facing legal difficulties for doing what the Bible commands. These cases involve Christians arrested for witnessing to others in public, public school students being told they do not have the right to read their Bibles at school, churches being excluded from communities, Christians being fired for sharing their faith at work, and thousands of other shocking assaults on our precious religious freedoms. CLA provides free legal services based in part on the generosity of God's people. Your contribution to CLA is 501(c)(3) tax deductible.

I'm learning so much about churches...

Last edited by Hythlodaeus (8/19/2013 11:21 pm)

8/20/2013 10:28 pm  #17

So, Hythlodaeus, does this mean that CoW didn't draft their statement of faith themselves? What does this mean? Thats kind of weird that they would do that. Do you think they believe what their statement of faith even says?

8/22/2013 12:13 pm  #18

jimmy26 wrote:

...does this mean that CoW didn't draft their statement of faith themselves? What does this mean? Thats kind of weird that they would do that. Do you think they believe what their statement of faith even says?

Right. It would appear they didn't write it themselves. That particular piece of writing already existed when The Elders were still in diapers. According to a source. 
1892, 1975 - oh, it was eons ago...historic times...who's counting, anyway?

I don't really know what this means. Maybe one of the theologians, seminary graduates, Bible experts, would care to comment. But there's quite an industry out there providing resources to start your own church. Ya just order on-line. 1-800-CHURCHINNABOX.

Who knew?

Last edited by Hythlodaeus (8/22/2013 12:14 pm)

8/23/2013 6:15 pm  #19

So, apparently I have been blocked on the Rick Ross forum. Also, my username on that site no longer exists.

8/24/2013 7:51 am  #20

jimmy26 wrote:

So, apparently I have been blocked on the Rick Ross forum. Also, my username on that site no longer exists.

Jimmy, I think the page has been removed. It says the server cannot be found. I asked Hythlodaeus about it the other day when I couldn't pull it up...

Board footera