Church of Wells/YMBBA Ministries

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/06/2014 2:36 pm  #1

School and all those kids..

I guess I am in the mood to post this question because I am back in the classroom today.

While we have mentioned many times the fact that they have a lot of children in their midst, we haven't really talked about the logistics of it all.

I am curious about education. There are a few kids obviously "of age" to be in school. I guess the oldest is 13 or something? 

So, question 1: What are the kids (and how many) doing as far as education? Do the parents suscribe to a homeschooling program? Aren't there laws in place that require some standard of education for children? Is there oversight?

So, that question is in regard to the current children. Now, what about all those beautiful babies we see in their pictures?

Question 2: When they all come "of age" to be in school, what will it be like? Will CoW have a facility? Are any of the current members trained to some extent in education? Will there be dedicated group "teachers" for the kids? Or will it be up to each family? Will the boys be treated and taught differently than the girls?

And finally, we all know how they feel about formal education (College). They probably wouldn't encourage the kids to go after "worldly" pursuits at large universities...

Question 3: What about basic skills one learns in grade school, up until high school? Will there be depth to their understanding of "how things work" or will it be all "because God said so" rhetoric?

For example, will they be taught basic math skills? The older generation can't run the business forever... What about biology and anatomy? There is practical knowledge to be found in those subjects... Like, in human biology I learned why, when I get cut, blood clots up. I know what "good" things my body can do, and what "bad" things to look out for.

Question 3.5: Will ANYTHING be taught that is void of scripture? I grew up in Christian school. Shoot, I even teach at one now. I know there are a lot of subjects where we can incorporate a "Christian" perspective, teaching, or worldview into our lectures. Like, when I am teaching my class on communication and relationships, I can incorporate scripture. But, let's be honest here... not all subjects have that liberty. Like my examples above, math and many of the natural sciences don't have that luxury. 

So, will CoW ignore them? Will they find a way to incorporate (force in) their views? Or, will the obstruct/damage the subject completely to fit their agenda? 

2/06/2014 3:05 pm  #2

Re: School and all those kids..

Some random answers...

Aegonis3 wrote:

question 1: What are the kids (and how many) doing as far as education? Do the parents subscribe to a homeschooling program? Aren't there laws in place that require some standard of education for children? Is there oversight? 

Texas is very friendly to homeschooling, they are considered a private school. Here's a list of the requirements:
_____
To home school legally in Texas, you must follow three state law requirements:

The instruction must be bona fide (i.e., not a sham).
    The curriculum must be in visual form (e.g., books, workbooks, video monitor).
    The curriculum must include the five basic subjects of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.
_____

Here's an excerpt of the Texas law.
_____
Section 25.085. Compulsory School Attendance.

(a) A child who is required to attend school under this section shall attend school each school day for the entire period the program of instruction is provided.

(b) Unless specifically exempted by Section 25.086, a child who is at least six years of age, or who is younger than six years of age and has previously been enrolled in first grade, and who has not completed the academic year in which the child’s 18th birthday occurred shall attend school.

(c) On enrollment in pre-kindergarten or kindergarten, a child shall attend school.

Section 25.086 Exemptions

(a)  A child is exempt from the requirements of compulsory school attendance if the child:

(1)  attends a private or parochial school that includes in its course a study of good citizenship . . .

or

(5)  is at least 17 years of age and:

(A)  is attending a course of instruction to prepare for the high school equivalency examination . . .

or

(B)  has received a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate . . .
_____

As I said, homeschools are considered private schools. Also, to graduate high school, very strict record keeping during the high school years is required for the state to recognize the graduation.
_____

Aegonis3 wrote:

Question 2: When they all come "of age" to be in school, what will it be like? ...Or will it be up to each family?

_____

The state lists the families as the responsible one for the child's education.
_____

Aegonis3 wrote:

Question 3.5: ..So, will CoW ignore them? Will they find a way to incorporate (force in) their views? Or, will the obstruct/damage the subject completely to fit their agenda?  

_____

My guess is probably so...

One question not asked is how the church deals with children/young adults that will reject the teachings of the group? We all know it will happen. Even children raised in even the best environments, by the best Godly parents still experience rebellion from some of their kids. (Even CoW parents!) It wil be interesting a few years.

Home schooling is something I totally endorse and support. BUT not all parents are organized enough to follow through with the program.

2/06/2014 3:19 pm  #3

Texas has very relaxed laws/guidelines when it comes to homeschooling.
Here, many parents do it all themselves.. some join a co-op group with other parents.. some join a co-op organization.... it varies. but there is little accountability compared to other states.
A friend that previously homeschooled in Texas moved to California and had a heck of a time homeschooling her girls. They eventually ended up in Public School there.

I think one of the families in CoW have Amish roots.. I don't remember where I read that. I know they don't formally school past jr. high. But, the children still continue learning in the field. Girls go on to be midwives.. learning anatomy thru older midwives... they learn to cook.. measuring ingredients.. double recipes, etc.

They learn farming and agriculture.. there is a lot to be learned in the field... they learn to build homes and barns...
so I do believe the basics are learned. They have to be.

However.. within this group.. who knows..
there is so much varied education available to be taught.. a lot of these girls have collegiate education.. so they would be crazy to not pass this information on to the younger generation.

2/06/2014 7:24 pm  #4

A3, I'd love to hear your thoughts and analysis. I get more out of that, far more thought-provoking for me than stuff in the form of questions. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
 The school-teacher in ya leakin' out...

What tc7665 said - trades, housekeeping, midwifery, etc. Literacy, not so much. In Sean Morris, Jake Gardner and Ryan Ringnald's various wisdoms, sermons, lectures and writings, that they do not believe in higher education. At all. They believe in educating only with respect to where it intersects with God's Will and what's necessary. And only at God's direction.

Basic literacy (reading and writing and general math). Because they need it for bible study and general life skills. You can't shop for groceries, put gas in your car, manage a household budget, read recipes and cook, use a computer, etc. without it.
History, civics, social studies, science, sociology, philosophy, Western Civilization - no. Probably none at all. High school diplomas - no. Won't be needed. Unless God says so. Which He won't, because college/university is an exercise in evil, ungodly, reprobate and unregenerate, according to their personal testimonies. Even Christian schools.

I speculate that like Westboro Baptist Church, the FLDS, People's Temple and other cults, a couple of boys will be tagged for conventional classic education and higher education and send them to med school and law school in order to have doctors and lawyers for the group. A couple of girls will be tagged to go to nursing school.
They'll build their own workforce and evolve as they think they need it. At the direction of God, of course.

Two elders' wives and the deacon's wife are preachers' Quiverfull-type daughters. They know how to do this. They'll use their pre-existing resources and relationships (the Pearls, Jeff W. Maranatha Church, etc.) to tap Christian homeschool curriculum and materials that meet their standards. They'll register school-age kids in Christian-based accredited in-state and national homeschool/alternative education platforms to get around state and national law. They'll be exempt from benchmarks and standards because of First Amendment religious freedoms. They just have to be rubber-stamped.

The Amish-looking family isn't Amish - or they wouldn't be in the Church of Wells group. It's not Amish clothing and neither of the adults were born into an Amish clan. 

2/06/2014 9:00 pm  #5

i thought one family lived among the amish?  the keyes?  i dont know where i am thinking i had read it.. maybe im thinking it cause the one family dresses mennonite/beachy-amish like... maybe i need sleep.. who knows...

2/06/2014 9:19 pm  #6

Yes, I think I've read that the Keyes lived with the Amish too. 

2/07/2014 3:24 am  #7

This only answers a tiny portion of your post but Lindsay Morris has a teaching degree.

Board footera