Church of Wells/YMBBA Ministries

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/05/2014 12:46 am  #1

Legalism: Law, Grace, and Works

Another Church of Wells book (4 pages) with teachings that directly conflict with the Bible.

http://www.thechurchofwells.com/uploads/5/9/9/1/5991751/legalism-law-grace-and-works.pdf

Sean Morris - Legalism-Law-Grace-And-Works (Page 1 - Paragraph 3)
"Therefore, if you don't have righteous works, you don't have saving grace."

Compare this to God's word:

God's word - Titus 3:5
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;"

God's word - Romans 3:28
"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law."

2/05/2014 10:54 am  #2

Re: Legalism: Law, Grace, and Works

Sean Morris - legalism-law-grace-and-works

This book clearly describes that the Church of Wells believes in a form of Salvation by Works, which thay call
- The Law of Salvation
- Fulfilling the Law
- Walking in the spirit works
- Being zealous for rejecting the works of the flesh
- Being zealous for living the works of the spirit

According to the Church of Wells, If you don't have a Zealous form of "Walking in the sprint works", then you are are not truely saved.

Summary of this 4 page book:

"salvation was: "that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us"
(Rom. 8:4, 13:8,Gal. 5:13-24)."

There are two Laws described:
- The Law of the Flesh (Being under the Law) = "Seeking to gain God's aproval by works (from the flesh)"

- The Law of Salvation (Fulfilling the Law) = "Seeking to gain God's approval by works (walking in the spirit)"

* "If you don't have righteous works, you don't have saving grace."

* "If you live after your salvation, there is no justification for a life without fruits."

* "If you don't have freedom from sin and works of righteousness abounding in your life
(2 Peter 1:5-10), then you are not under the law of salvation."

* "It is most important to understand that fruits prove one has salvation, and we must understand what
fruits those are."
(However, he never defines what those fruits are.  Oddly, the clearest list of God's real fruit, is not found anywhere in the Church of Wells teachings.  But they are in God's word:  Galations 5:22-23 "22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.")

* "False teachers abhor any manifestation of grace which makes a Christian zealous "that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit" (Rom. 8:4)"

* "It is these works that Jesus called "my works" (Rev. 2:26): those things we must keep to be saved."

* "but true salvation makes an individual zealous for good works."

* "It is true, salvation is by grace through faith, apart from works, but if God is not working through you the vibrant expression of His holy image and deeds to this wicked world then you have no part with Christ Jesus."
(The proof of true salvation is being zealous and vibrant about rejecting works of the flesh and instead to be zealous and vibrant about having good works.)

2/05/2014 5:47 pm  #3

ok, so if I follow correctly, it still boils down to works/fruits? Works and fruits that is elder-approved?

2/05/2014 6:09 pm  #4

Yes, they require elder approved works/fruits to prove their salvation is true.

2/05/2014 6:40 pm  #5

This is confusing, arbitrary, contradictory.

2/05/2014 9:17 pm  #6

Interesting. Patty Grove told me during a visit, in the home of Heidi Keyes, that after visiting for several hours it was Heidi who judged her fruits not worthy and therefore not saved. Interesting the elders are allowing a woman to judge the fruits. How much influence does Heidi actually have?

2/06/2014 10:31 am  #7

She would be able to because Patti was female..
I would think the 'elders' would be "responsible" for judging Andy...

2/06/2014 7:02 pm  #8

Oh, ok. Now, I hope this doesn't sound like a strange question but what exactly are fruits?

2/06/2014 7:27 pm  #9

The fruit of the spirit that I know are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Somehow, I am pretty sure theirs are different.

2/06/2014 8:06 pm  #10

I thought it meant less esoteric stuff, like giving away your money to a street person, volunteering at a shelter, chopping wood for a senior citizen. Maybe that's works, then?
Yeesh.

When Jesus talked about this stuff, it was simple and clear. As the centuries pass, it seems to get rewritten and more complicated. Yes, God was not an author of confusion, but men talking about God certainly are.

Board footera