Church of Wells/YMBBA Ministries

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/04/2014 3:59 pm  #1

Preface: About This Analysis

Greetings, and thank you for stopping by my little corner of the forum. Thank you to Admin for allowing me to have this space.

First, a few necessary disclaimers: 

You've probably noticed that my title is now "moderator." That was a decision made so that I can control the layout of this particular thread. I will not be involved in the moderation of any other areas of this forum. I promise. 

Another thing you'll notice is that you are not able to post topics and replies in this forum. That is intentional. Conversations and dialogue about The Condescension of God can take place in the "Media" thread. This area is intended for consumption - not participation. If you want to give feeback or have questoins about what you read here, feel free to send me a private question or start a new thread in the "Media" forum.

Now that we got that out of the way...

Who am I?

You may be wondering, who is this fella? If you've been around these boards for any period of time, you're well aware of my background. For those new here, allow me to introduce myself. I'm AG3, and I am an academic. I lost a friend to this group when they were still in Arlington. I have been actively following them ever since. 

What you need to know about me, and about the goals of this review, is that I am an academic. I hold a Master's Degree in Communication Theory. This degree basically means I am a professional people-watcher and decoder of messages and meaning. For a metaphotical example would be a car engine. We all know that is takes gasoline and makes a car drive - but how do those inside parts work? Communication Theory is the same way. It is a social science that helps explain why people do the things they do, and how communication shapes our worlds.

One niche area of Human Communication Theory is "rhetorical criticism." This is the art of decoding a message (audio, visual, textual) to interpret implied or hidden meaning. The art of rhetoric dates back to the Ancient Greeks. In fact, the first textbook ever printed was Aristotle's Rhetoric

Here's how Wiki explains rhetorical criticism.

Through the process of criticism, a rhetorician defines, classifies, analyzes, interprets and evaluates a rhetorical artifact. Through this process a critic explores, by means of various approaches, the manifest and latent meaning of a piece of rhetoric thereby offering further insight into the field of rhetorical studies generally and into an artifact or rhetor specifically. Such an analysis, for example may reveal the particular motivations or ideologies of a rhetor, how he or she interprets the aspects of a rhetorical situation, or how cultural ideologies are manifested in an artifact.

So, think of me as a "meaning detective." I'll be going through Condescension of God with a fine tooth comb. I will be looking at their use of argument, metaphor, proofs, cultural meanings, contradictions, and how their social practices are manifest in this text. 

Please note that I am acting as a rhetorician, not a theologian or historian.

That's about all I have to say for now. Section 1 is floating around here somewhere, so I will be migrating that over shortly. Other than that, my mission is to tackle one section a week. It's a long book, so please be patient. I'd love it if others went through it with me!

Enjoy,

AG3

Last edited by Aegonis3 (2/05/2014 9:56 pm)

Board footera