Church of Wells/YMBBA Ministries

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/15/2013 12:03 am  #1

Add soda to the list of sin and idols.

Found this fascinating exchange on Ronnie Saltsman's Instagram.

ronniesaltsman3 months ago
#soda #vanity #vain #glory #mcdonald's #mcdonalds#passingaway

faithsarr3 months ago
Why do you drink soda?

I do when my Lord wills. Once you taste of the glory of God all else is not worthy of glory. all is vanity.

faithsarr3 months ago
Why would The Lord will you to drink soda? It doesn't do anything good to your body.

Pork is no good either, God hath called it clean? @faithsarr

faithsarr3 months ago
But if soda is for pure pleasure then are you not making it an idol?

It can become an idol, but having a soda when the Lords gives liberty is not a sin, or idolatry. If someone does not have liberty and drinks a soda, then it very well could be a sin.

----

The logic behind this is amazing. It seems that the line between "sin" and "not sin" is "if the Lord wills." Now, that's all well and good, but applying it to soda? Where do you draw the line on what you "ask the Lord's will" for? "Lord, may I make my bed today?" It all seems similar to slaves asking their master's permission for every small, meaningless act. 

I love Faithsarr's reposnse about the Lord willing Ronnie to drink something unhealthy. Ronnie conviniently avoids the question with a red herring, but let's investigate it anyway.

Ronnie says that the OT reference to pork being unclean is (in my words) "outdated" because "The Lord hath made it clean." So, Ronnie understands the concept of God's redemption of consumer goods, namely pork and probably shrimp. My question is this: if God can redeem the unclean pork, why is it that CoW insists that God can't seem to redeem things like Disney movies or sports?

CoW: You can't pick and choose what God can redeem. Christ died for everyone and everything - not just whatsoever you feel like choosing. 

Last edited by Aegonis3 (11/15/2013 12:06 am)

11/15/2013 4:29 pm  #2

Re: Add soda to the list of sin and idols.

When the Lord wills? At the Lord's liberty?

You have to be so mind-bogglingly self-involved and self-centered, to imagine God taking time to personally give you permission to drink a can of pop. That's some serious ego.

These guys really do believe they are special beyond all rationalization. 

11/15/2013 4:50 pm  #3

and... i so wish we could like comments again...

11/15/2013 5:24 pm  #4

I heard from another forum that when they bought R&R Mercantile they got rid of alcohol, cigarretes and PORK http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/confused.png

11/15/2013 10:31 pm  #5

And lottery tickets

11/16/2013 12:12 am  #6

4everfaithful wrote:

I heard from another forum that when they bought R&R Mercantile they got rid of alcohol, cigarretes and PORK http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/confused.png

So, no pork means no shrimp either? And, they can't shave their beards I'm assuming. You know, since we're going Levitical Law and all...

11/27/2013 12:42 pm  #7

2 Peter wrote:

Somewhere there is a recent post about the "sin" of drinking soda and a reference to a conversation on how one selects what to do from minute to minute based on "if the Lord wills it.". I am curious about this aspect of COW doctrine. How is the Lord's will determined, and to what degree? Everytime I ask my family member in this group how things are going I receive a "just seeking the Lord's will" reply. Okay, so what does that look like, and when does one know when one has found it, and how is it revealed, and so on.

1/21/2014 3:24 am  #8

This explains why they got upset at me for giving Bug Juice to my step daughter.. They acted as though I have her poison

1/21/2014 3:39 am  #9

Wellsian wrote:

This explains why they got upset at me for giving Bug Juice to my step daughter.. They acted as though I have her poison

Sounds like there is a good story to be told? Please? :D

1/21/2014 11:18 am  #10

A good book that discusses this topic.

Decision Making and the Will of God.
http://www.amazon.com/Decision-Making-Will-God-Alternative/dp/1590522052

Basically, God gives us freedom to make choices.

"Seek the Lord" option:
Some people believe that that one choice is always a sinful choice and the other choice is always the non sinful will of God.  People who live this way are frequently living with the fear of making the wrong choice - The sinful choice.  And they will go to great lengths, to "Seek the Lord", which will ultimatly destroy their confindance in any decision making ablity.

Wisdom option:
Many times, neither choice is sinful.  Even if one choice might ultimatly be better, you can still have neither choice be sinful.  (When God told Adam to name the animals, was it necessary for Adam to "Seek the Lord" with every animal name?  There is no name that would have been considered sin, there is no name that would have been better than any other name.)

Many choices are preferece decisions like:  I like apples, but not peaches.  You can even have life changing preference decisions like:  Should I marry a godly woman from Asia with black hair or a godly woman from Europe with blonde hair.)

The process for decision making is more about understanding Authority.  SIN is also all about Authority.
- God has given you authority over your life.  It is ok to make decisions within the boundries of your proper authority.
- You identify biblical core values
- You set individual goals that are consistant with biblical core values
- You work with different strategies that help you make wise choices.
- You undertand that SIN is when you claim authority for yourself that does not belong to you.

* When you willfully violate God's direct commands, you are claiming that you have more authority than God in these matters.

* When you have been disrepectful to people who have proper authority over you, you are claiming that you have more authority than they do.

* When you do something hurtful to someone, then you are claiming that you have authority over someone else when you don't.

* When you abuse the authority that you do have, then you are claiming that you have the authority to step outside the proper boundries of your authority and claim the authority to be abusive.

Board footera