Church of Wells/YMBBA Ministries

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/05/2013 9:54 pm  #11

Re: Fear, fear, and more fear...

If I can offer a theory... I would tend to guess that most in this group came to it honestly seeking to be closer to the Lord. Notice what I said, "seeking to be closer." I think, however they came, there was a great desire to be closer to God. But what gets in the way is that they want to be doing something to get closer and to gain God's favor. When the truth is that we can do NOTHING to gain God's favor. We can't work hard enough, we can't preach hard enough we can't read our Bibles long enough and we can't pray enough.

I think that's where they all stray from the truth because they want to believe, "there must be something I can do to get closer to God." They refuse, or can't believe that all we have to do is accept God's gift, no catch. Whether this comes from a incident in childhood, unloving parents, death in the family or ruined relationships that makes them feel inadequate toward God. That's where the fear comes from.

Now I can't imagine where the "elders" come from, because they blatantly prey on the others fears, they definately have other issues. But in a group like this, you must have 2 groups, someone who wants to control and someone willing to be controlled. Unfortunately, when the controlled group gives themselves over to the leadership, they are now totally open to spiritual abuse.

That's my amateur psychoanalysis.

Last edited by mtriplett1 (10/05/2013 11:40 pm)

10/05/2013 10:21 pm  #12

I'll go with that.

10/06/2013 4:08 pm  #13

Thanks for the great discussion everyone.

Hythlodaeus – I like that picture you posted, circular reasoning at its finest. “You must believe in what I say”….”Why?”…”Because I said so.” I’ll have to check out that book you posted, sounds very interesting.

Grace – Even though I don’t believe in hell I definitely respect your perspective. From what I understand the CoW believes that an incredibly small number of people actually make it into heaven, the rest (probably greater than 99.9999%) goes to hell. Why would God create us and send the vast majority of us straight to hell? If I were religious I would definitely take your approach on salvation.

Kjdean49 – You bring up a great point about the elders, how do they know that they saved? What if I spoke to God and he said Sean, Jake, and Ryan are all fools and they should join Hellbound Anonymous? No one could tell me I’m wrong.

mtriplett1 – I definitely agree with your analysis. My family member who’s in the church always had something “missing” when it came to religion. The elders prey on this and fill people’s minds with the thoughts that they are horrible sinners and they are heading to hell unless they submit to the elder’s teachings. It’s a classic case of spiritual abuse.

For those who have Netflix, I definitely recommend watching Hell House (link). It’s a fascinating documentary about a church that puts on an elaborate “haunted house” style show each year. They put an incredible amount of time and energy into the production, their goal is to show people what happens to them if they sin and go to hell. It’s 100% fear mongering, just like what the CoW does when they preach, they try to scare people into joining the church. Imagine if they put that time and energy into something like feeding the poor, helping the sick, etc.

10/06/2013 4:13 pm  #14

P.S. I just noticed that Hell House is available to stream only until next week (the 15th). Definitely worth 85 minutes of your time if this topic is interesting to you.

Also, guess where this is located? That's right, TEXAS!!! (near Dallas) Maybe the CoW crew makes a pilgrimage there each year.

10/06/2013 8:47 pm  #15

Today the “spiritual leaders” of the “church” are subject to a congregational democracy. The congregation shepherds the shepherd. They hire and fire the pastor, and so, the choicest pick of the multitude is a congregational conformist whose priority is to keep his job, and so Hell’s hirelings preaching God’s holy word! They are pragmatic men, prepared by pampered professors of classroom politics,and so, like the heathen vocations, these men are educated into authority and classroom-cultivated. They are just worldly enough to tickle the taste buds of men who are hungry for religiously-intelligent sinning. They are whitewashed on the outside, and they are skilled to whitewash other men.
                                                                                    - Sean Morris, 'The Condescension of God'

10/06/2013 8:57 pm  #16

anon wrote:

Today the “spiritual leaders” of the “church” are subject to a congregational democracy. The congregation shepherds the shepherd. They hire and fire the pastor, and so, the choicest pick of the multitude is a congregational conformist whose priority is to keep his job, and so Hell’s hirelings preaching God’s holy word! They are pragmatic men, prepared by pampered professors of classroom politics,and so, like the heathen vocations, these men are educated into authority and classroom-cultivated. They are just worldly enough to tickle the taste buds of men who are hungry for religiously-intelligent sinning. They are whitewashed on the outside, and they are skilled to whitewash other men.
                                                                                    - Sean Morris, 'The Condescension of God'

WOW! 

10/06/2013 9:00 pm  #17

As far as the "fear and terror" thing goes....one sheeple told me that I chould not have enought fear of the Lord because I didn't believe I could lose my salvation. So if you are assured of your salvation in their eyes you aren't saved...hmmmmm

10/06/2013 9:38 pm  #18

Hmmm...was he turned down for seminary? Is that part of his problem?

10/06/2013 9:41 pm  #19

No he went through Bible college howeve now he believes that is false doctrine so that is all down the drain!

10/06/2013 9:48 pm  #20

Which one?

Board footera